Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Ramadan and "Marital Relations"

I was surprised at my new finding about the issue of having marital relations with spouses during the month of Ramadan. All my life until now, I have listened to so many duroos/khutbas/lectures from scholars about how the month of Ramadan enjoins us to fast, pay zakat, perform salah, etc; And I recall a "million" times hearing to lectures forbidding sexual-relations with spouses during fasting. Now here is the point that I missed (I am sure there are many others like me): It is forbidden to have sexual-relations "while fasting", and fasting is only during the day-time! Just think about it, how many working muslim men/women or students have so much time, or (mood?) during their day time to think about going to bed! Unless there is an exception, like those working in night-shift jobs or those working from home!

All my life until now, I was under the impression that we are supposed to abstain from sex for the whole month of Ramadan, 24X7. I was even thinking of never getting married during or just before Ramadan (Ahh! there goes a small hint alluding to my bachelorhood; Anyone ineterested?!) for the fear that I simply may not be able to resist the temptations of Shaytaan. But this year, while reading the translation of Surat Al-Baqarah, I came across this verse #187, where it is mentioned about the permissibility of having sexual relations with your wives on the night of As-Saum (the fasts)...Ahh! such a relief!

Disclaimer: I have not verified this with a scholar yet. But from the outset, the translation seems pretty straight-forward. Wallaahu 'Aalam.


4 comments:

Phoenix said...

Asak.

Ok, I don't have much of an experience in Tajweed. But I have heard it from some very good experts. It helps to listen to other reciters , but it is supposedly not a good idea, and emphasis is always on doing it your natural way.

Ok. I wouldn't really know why you would refer to Shuraim as "New Kid on the Block", cause technically when we were growing up he was doing Imaamat at Makkah, what say?

There is a new Imam now in Haram (Makkah) now, I do not know his name, so technically he is the "new kid on the block", literally, since he is just 17 years old. Everybody here just love him. Maybe you should check that out too.

Phoenix said...

Ok. this is for the present post "Marital Relations"!

Man you are not Naive, you are just purely Dumb! LOL. How couldn't you know, everyone knows!

Anyway, because you were going through the Tafseer, you probably also realise, that it was allowed only later to have physically relationship with your WIFE, when you are not fasting in Ramadhan ( that is in the night). Before that ayah, it wasn't actually allowed. I hope I am right about it, I vaguely remember it that it was not allowed until this revealation.

Phoenix said...

Just one question though, you looking at "Tafseer Ibn Katheer"?

I think you are, that's considered one of the best!

Mr. Nobody said...

walkmslm.

Ah! The Phoenix has risen. Again. Good. About Shuraim, I called him so because he is one of the very few guys I personally listen to very often (mostly becasue of lack of time, I don't explore others). But when I listened to him for the very first time, I just felt him to be sooo different and it was like "love at first sight" for me! Forgot to mention though...I used to listen to Jagjit Singh a lot back home...so...may be...well I don't know if the comparison is right.

And no, Tafsir ibn-Kathir is in several volumes man...I wouldn't dare to try that. I use this brief, but very very informative tafsir called Ahsanul-Bayaan by Safi-ur-Rahmaan Mubarakpuri. Its in urdu though. But trust me, once you try it, you will be a big fan. InshAllah.